By Keith Seddon
This new translation presents works, one through Epictetus and the opposite by way of Cebes, historical Greek philosophers of the Imperial interval, in new translations of clear, undemanding English.
In this book, readers will how you can maintain emotional concord and a ‘good circulate of lifestyles’ no matter what fortune may well carry in shop for them.
This smooth English translation of the whole Handbook is supported through and includes:
* the 1st thorough remark due to the fact that of Simplicius, 1500 years ago
* an in depth introduction
* wide glossary
* index of key terms
* chapter-by-chapter dialogue of themes
* invaluable tables that make clear Stoic moral doctrines as a look.
Accompanying the Handbook is the Tablet of Cebes, a curious and interesting textual content. In entire distinction, but complementing the Handbook’s extra traditional philosophical presentation, the pill exhibits development to philosophical knowledge as a trip via a panorama inhabited via personifications of happiness, fortune, the virtues and vices.
Read Online or Download Epictetus’ Handbook and the Tablet of Cebes: Guides to Stoic Living PDF
Similar greek & roman philosophy books
This new translation presents works, one by way of Epictetus and the opposite via Cebes, old Greek philosophers of the Imperial interval, in new translations of clear, uncomplicated English. during this book, readers will easy methods to maintain emotional concord and a ‘good circulate of lifestyles’ no matter what fortune may perhaps carry in shop for them.
Antiochus of Ascalon was once one of many seminal philosophers of the 1st century BC, an period of radical philosophical swap. a few referred to as him a digital Stoic, yet in truth his programme was once an up-to-date revival of the philosophy of the ‘ancients’, which means specially Plato and Aristotle. His importance lies in part in his huge, immense impact on Roman intellectuals of the age, together with Cicero, Brutus and Varro, in part in his position because the harbinger of a brand new kind of philosophy, which thereafter remained dominant for the rest of antiquity.
Plato's past due dialogues have usually been overlooked simply because they lack the literary allure of his past masterpieces. Charles Kahn proposes a unified view of those different and hard works, from the Parmenides and Theaetetus to the Sophist and Timaeus, displaying how they steadily boost the framework for Plato's overdue metaphysics and cosmology.
Old philosophy was once conceived as a lifestyle or an artwork of dwelling, but when historical philosophers did imagine that philosophy may still rework an individual's lifestyle, then what perception of philosophy stands in the back of this declare? John Sellars explores this query via an in depth account of old Stoic principles concerning the nature and serve as of philosophy.
- "Cato Peripateticus" – stoische und peripatetische Ethik im Dialog: Cic. "fin." 3 und der Aristotelismus des ersten Jh. v. Chr. (Xenarchos, Boethos und ... Literatur und Geschichte) (German Edition)
- Geschichte der Philosophie: Bd. 1: Antike (German Edition)
- Augustin und die Dialektik: Eine Untersuchung der Argumentationsstruktur in den Cassiciacum-Dialogen (Studien und Texte zu Antike und Christentum /Studies ... Antiquity and Christianity) (German Edition)
- Socrates and the Jews: Hellenism and Hebraism from Moses Mendelssohn to Sigmund Freud
Extra info for Epictetus’ Handbook and the Tablet of Cebes: Guides to Stoic Living